This movie has everything; action, comedy, patriotism, jump scares, and even Brent Spiner (‘Star Trek’, ‘Dude, Where’s My Car?’). Also starring Will Smith (After Earth, Concussion) and Jeff Goldblum (Jurassic Park, The Fly), this was a thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable film that I hope will not be ruined by the sequel. The one thing that set this apart from many films was the realistic showing of people doing what they would if they were actually in that situation. Excusing the ‘aliens happen to have a mothership that once destroyed disables their whole army’ cliché this was a very original film.
When alien spaceships begin to hover over the worlds biggest cities and eliminating the most highly populated areas on earth, our only hopes are a combat pilot, a drunken field-duster, and a engineering genius.
‘aliens happen to have a mothership that once destroyed disables their whole army’ cliché.
Boomer jumping away from the explosion.
1) The scene in which Will Smith drags the unconscious alien across the desert was filmed on the salt flats near Great Salt Lake in Utah.
2) Jeff Goldblum uses one of his lines from Jurassic Park (1993) in this film: “Must go faster, must go faster!”
3) Over 70 mock news broadcasts were created for the film.
4) “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears for Fears was originally picked to play during the scene at S.E.T.I. before it was replaced by R.E.M.’s “It’s the End of the World As We Know It”.
5) In the Special Edition, during the scenes where David is searching for his ex-wife’s telephone number, his computer screen displays humorous street names such as “Heresheis Avenue.”