This 2001 remake of the 1960 original brought in an all-star cast and did not disappoint. Starring George Clooney (Money Monster, Hail Caesar!), Matt Damon (Good Will Hunting, The Martian), Brad Pitt (12 Monkeys, Thelma & Louise), Casey Affleck (Good Will Hunting, Triple 9), Elliott Gould (American History X, Mash), Bernie Mac (Transformers, Guess Who), Don Cheadle (Iron Man 2, Crash), Julia Roberts (Notting Hill, Pretty Woman), and Andy Garcia (The Godfather: Part II, Ghostbusters) this is a heist film to rival Mission: Impossible. Through the first part of the film I was relatively unimpressed but once the team is together the pace picks up considerably. With a great heist sequence but not so much character development, this was very enjoyable but not that impressive as a film.
In order to get back at the man who ‘stole’ his wife, Danny Ocean gets together a group of 11 skilled thieves and heist artists to rob his three biggest casinos.
In the scene when the casino vault’s doors were blown, Danny and Linus had their hair in a mess, but in the next shot, it is perfectly combed.
When Yen is doing the real job you can see that his foot hit the laser without setting the alarm.
[SPOILER] Danny supposed to get a really bad beating. But when Benedict goes to see him after he’s been robbed, Danny is hardly out of breath, there’s not a mark on him and only his shirt is no longer tucked in, yet Benedict and the two guards don’t find this at all suspicious.
- The total heist would weigh too much to carry out. The U.S. Treasury has the weight of $1,000,000 at 22 pounds. Multiply that by 163 and the total weight from the heist would be 3586 pounds. Divide that by all eleven con men, and each one would have to carry 326 pounds out of the casino.
- Matt Damon’s part as Linus Caldwell, the pick-pocket, was meant for Mark Wahlberg. He turned it down in order to star in Planet of the Apes.
- The wig used by Rusty (Pitt) in his disguise as a doctor was Mike Myers’s wig for Austin Powers.
- Shaobo Qin (Yen) was cast because he was practising with the Peking Acrobatics Team.
- Bruce Willis was originally cast as Danny Ocean but had to pull out due to scheduling conflicts. He would later make a cameo appearance in the 2004 sequel.