This nostalgic, nerdy horror series just proves yet again that Netflix is doing it right. Hitting all the right notes, obviously catering to the audience (mostly nerds in their teens or mid-twenties), and putting in thousands of little easter-eggs and references to other films, even the opening few scenes mirror ‘E.T. The Extraterrestrial’ of the point where even the pizza that the boys are eating as they play Dungeons and Dragons is the same as the boys in ‘E.T.’ are eating as they play the same game (sausage and pepperoni). Starring Winona Ryder (Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands), Millie Bobby Brown (Intruders), Natalia Dyer (I Believe in Unicorns, Blue Like Jazz), David Harbour (Black Mass, Brokeback Mountain), and created by the Duffer Brothers this show is terrifying but suspenseful and really takes advantage of Netflix’s ‘next episode’ button. I loved this show and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of Steven King or any sci-fi horror.
On the way home from a game of D&D with his friends Will Byers goes missing. The same night, something strange escapes from a government research facility but when Wills friends are looking for him in the woods, they find a strange girl with a shaven head wearing a hospital robe.
[SPOILER] Where are all the other kids that are ‘special’?
[SPOILER] Where is 011?
[SPOILER] How did Hopper and Joyce get out of the ‘down under’?
When Johnathan talks to Hopper about going to see his father, Hoppers pocket goes from ruffled to unruffled and back again.
In episode 7, when Mike answers Chief Hopper on the walkie-talkie, the radio at the Byers house is sitting on a mantle next to a book called “Great American Ghost Stories” by Hans Holzer. This book wasn’t published until 1990, seven years after the story takes place.
At the end of chapter 6 Mike and Dustin set their bikes down outside of Mikes house with Dustin’s bike on the left and Mike’s on the right. In the beginning of chapter 7 when they are leaving Mike’s house to escape, Dustin’s bike is now on the right and Mike’s is on the left.
Indiana license plates should display a single digit or double digit at the begging on the number followed by a smaller letter and then up to four numbers after. The first digits identify the county. So a plate would not start with 3X.
Artistic Impression: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
1) The main ouster used for the show is inspired by the poster for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
2) The state trooper guarding the morgue is reading “Cujo” by Stephen King. This is one of the show’s many nods to the author’s work.
3) Gaten Matarazzo’s (Dustin) voice changed so much by the time production ended that the sound team was unable to use him for additional dialogue recording.
4) The twin actresses that play Holly Wheeler are the same twins who played the original baby Judith in the Walking Dead.
5) The quarry seen in chapter 2 is filmed at the same location as ‘Walking Dead’ and ‘The Fundamentals of Caring’.
6) Winona Ryder did no know what streaming was before acting in this show.
Season 2 teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXWG_kKDZlY
Liked this? Check out my reviews of ‘Breaking Bad: Seasons 2-5‘ or ‘The Walking Dead: Seasons 2-6 + Who Died Detective‘