The next instalment in Netflix’s Marvel TV shows after ‘Daredevil’ and ‘Jessica Jones’, continues with the stunning performance and brilliant casting. Starring Mike Colter (Million Dollar Baby, Men In Black 3), Simone Missik (The Road To Sundance, Voicemail), Mahershala Ali (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Pt. 1), and Rosario Dawson (Daredevil, Sin City), this show is not only binge-worthy but has many sneaky (and some not so sneaky) references to both the comic books and the other MCU movies. Luke Cage was very enjoyable and I would recommend it to any Marvel fan.
When Carl Lucas, an ex-cop, is sent to jail, he agrees to exchange a shorter sentence for fighting in an illegal boxing ring under the jail. When he is critically injured in the ring, the only way to save him is experimental. The experiment goes wrong and makes Carl super-strong and have impenetrable skin. When running away he changes his name to Luke Cage and uses his power for good.
It was a little slow at times.
In the finale Diamondback’s suit, while very close to the comics, is rather cheesy and does not translate well into live action.
Artistic Impression: 🌟🌟🌟⭐️
- Every episode title of the series is named after a Gang Starr song.
- This will be Marhershala Ali’s second Netflix series. His first was House of Cards.
- Alfre Woodard appears as Luke Cage’s mother. Woodard played a completely different character in “Captain America: Civil War” (2016), which is set in the same universe as “Luke Cage”.
- Dulé Hill was rumored for the role of Luke Cage, he denied knowledge of the role.
- Lance Gross and Cleo Anthony had screen tested for Luke Cage before Mike Colter was cast.