The true story of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill of 2010 makes a hard-hitting yet impressive story. With an impressive cast including Mark Wahlberg (Ted, The Gambler), Kurt Russel (The Hateful Eight, The Thing), Gina Rodriquez (Interstate, Jane The Virgin), John Malkovich (Red 2, Being John Malkovich), Kate Hudson (Almost Famous, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days), and Dylan O’Brian (Maze Runner, Teen Wolf), this movie is adrenaline filled straight from the get go. I thought this film was an impressive and faithful adaptation of the real event.
When the Deepwater Horizon oil rig drills into an unusually pressurized oil reservoir and the safety checks were not properly done, the pressure causes and an explosion of oil and the rig to catch fire.
I don’t know for sure but the very end [SPOILERS] when Mike throws Andrea off the rig, seems a little ‘Hollywoodised’.
This film was rated 12 A (UK) but from some of the gore in it, it should have probably been a 15.
Artistic Impression: 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
- An oil rig was built just for this film, this rig is located in Chalmette, Louisiana where filming mostly took place. It has been coined as the largest set piece ever built.
- Kate Hudson’s 1st movie working with her step-father, Kurt Russel.
- This is the second Peter Berg movie to be based on a true story and star Mark Wahlberg. Lone Survivor was their first collaboration together.
- Kate Hudson’s role was originally offered to Emma Stone but she turned down the role.
- The actor, Graham McGinnis, portraying the Coast Guard Lieutenant is an actual active duty Coast Guard Helicopter Rescue Swimmer stationed at USCG Airstation New Orleans.