Well not exactly a faithful remake of the original Steve McQueen starrer, this is a high adrenaline, exciting movie. Starring Chris Pratt (Gardens of the Galaxy, Jurassic World, Parks and Recreation), Denzel Washington (Training Day, American Gangster), Ethan Hawke (Boyhood, Before Sunrise),Vincent D’Onofrio (Daredevil, Jurassic World), Hayley Bennett (The Girl on the Train, Hard-Core Henry), this brings together an all-star cast to create a very impressive all-guns-blaring action movie. While maybe not so artistically impressive this was thoroughly enjoyable and I would recommend it if you are looking for a fun, exciting movie with not much needed brainpower.
When Bartholomew Bogue, The owner of a coal mining company massacres the inhabitants of a village for its land, those leftover rent some guns-for-higher to take him down.
When Matthew Cullen is stood outside the church with his arms round his wife he throws his hat to the floor. The camera angle changes and it’s back in his hand before it flicks back to the original angle where he’s not holding it again.
When the seven are preparing the townspeople for battle, there is a shot dedicated to them taking down Bogue’s banner. Later there is a shot in which the same banner is being taken down from the same place for the second time.
Red Harvest (Martin Sensmeier) has a Mohawk hairstyle in the film. The Comanche never cut their hair in the style of a Mohawk.
The Gatling gun managed to shoot the top of the bell tower down to the ground without the height being adjusted.
Artistic Impression: 🌟🌟🌟
- The horse that Chris Pratt rode in this film was the star of War Horse.
- This film saw many reunions: Chris Pratt with both Vincent D’Onofrio after ‘Jurassic World‘ and Jonathan Joss after ‘Parks and Recreation’. Ethan Hawke, Antoine Fuqua, and Denzel Washington after ‘Training Day’, Ethan Hawke and Antoine Fuqua after ‘Brooklyn’s Finest’, and Antoine Fuqua, Haley Bennet and Denzel Washington after ‘The Equalizer’. Ethan Hawke and Vincent D’Onofrio after ‘Newton Boys’, ‘Staten Island’, and ‘Brooklyn’s Finest’.
- The joke “So Far So Good” told by Chris Pratt’s character was also told by Steve McQueen’s character in the original The Magnificent Seven.
- Jason Momoa was originally going to appear in the film. He dropped out due to his commitment with Aquaman (2018).
- Both D’Onofrio and Pratt have starred in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, D’Onofrio as Kingpin/Wilson Fisk in ‘Daredevil‘ and Pratt in ‘Guardians of the Galaxy‘ as Starlord/Peter Quill.