Though this movie has brilliant CGI and very creatively designed ‘beasts’, it lacks somewhat in the plot region and has an astoundingly mediocre acting quality. Starring Eddie Redmayne (The Theory of Everything, The Danish Girl), Colin Farrell (The Lobster, Phone Booth), Ezra Miller (We Need To Talk About Kevin, The Perks of Being a Wallflower), and Katherine Waterston (Steve Jobs, Inherent Vice), and with a cameo from Johnny Depp (Edward Scissorhands, Dark Shadows), this film brings an all-star cast to a below average script. I would have expected a better film from J. K. Rowling behind the plot, David Yates (Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, The Legend of Tarzan) directing, and such a great cast. I can’t say I’m excited for the sequel (set for 2018), the third (set for 2020), or the fourth and fifth film in the new ‘Fantastic Beasts’ series!
When Newt Scamander, a British wizard, sets magical beasts free in New York and exposes a no-maj (muggle) to magic by accident, he must accept the consequences, try to recapture the beasts, and investigate an ‘obscurus’.
Some of the beasts were not properly explained and plot was poor.
Several songs listened to by the characters were not released at the time that the film was set (‘You’re the Cream in My Coffee’ by Ruth Etting, for example) and Grindelwald expects to be imprisoned (and to escape) at the end, but we have previously seen that the American wizards execute major offenders.
When Frank, the Thunderbird, leaves NYC for Arizona he goes east (we know this because he goes towards the sun, which is rising at the time)!
1) The name Newt Scamander (Redmayne) appears on the Marauder’s Map in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban.
2) It was originally intended to be a trilogy but was announced to be a 5-part series in October 2016.
3) Eddie Redmayne auditioned for the role of Tom Riddle in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets but was turned down after reading 1 line.
4) [Spoiler] The Form of execution Tina almost experienced was based on the execution/punishment/trial of the Salem witch hunts, in which the accused would sit on a chair and be submerged into water. If they sank they were innocent but if they floated they were guilty of being a witch.
5) The film is neither a prequel or sequel to the Harry Potter series but an extension of the ‘wizarding world’ and actually takes place 70 years prior to the Potter stories.